The ultimate purpose of both bicycle helmets and skateboard helmets are to provide protection. Generally, people ask what the difference between bicycle helmet vs Skateboard helmet is that makes them separate entities. How they differ in their functions? Can’t we use the same helmet for both?
These are the questions many people have in their mind. Here, we will try to clear out your mind and make you understand what makes them different.
You have falls and twist in both genre of games. Both formats of games require their players to wear some protective head gear for their protection and safety. Keeping that in mind, safety is the first function you must compare when going to decide bicycle helmet vs skateboard helmet agenda.
These both helmets are not only different in their looks but they also offer different functionality.To give you ease, we make comparison detailed comparison of both helmets on each functions.
Safety comes first:
Every sport has different standards for safety. The sports which require helmets also have different safety standards that are required to meet. Mostly, some standards have governmental authorization, and some are just the rules on which manufactures have consensus and they supremely follow.
The helmet which meets and exceeds some safety standards have their sticker inside it.In bike helmets the preferred ones are The consumer product safety commission (CPSC) that are US based and in skate boarding ASTM F1492 standards.
- Bicycle helmets should meet the CPSC safety standards and these bicycle helmets should be your top priority.
- Bicycle helmet are made for one time use it means they can undergo a single high impact.For instance, if you met an accident and your helmet hits hard this will compress the foam of helmet and will no longer provide protection.
- It’s definitely doesn’t mean that your bicycle helmets are of no use even if it has smaller hits or with low impacts. But it can absorb only one higher and heavier impact.
- The skateboard helmets have ASTM F1492 standards for safety.
- They can endure multiple low impacts and are not designed to bear high impacts. It’s just because these helmets have softer foam in comparison to bicycle helmets.
- The outer shell of the helmet is also designed to be thicker to absorb number of small impacts.
But as for now, many types of skateboarding may have higher and stronger falls for which high impact absorption helmet is definitely required. So, these days many advance skateboard helmets come with dual safety standards.
In my point of view for all skateboarding games such as Onewheel, in-line skating, rolling skating etc, you must buy helmets with dual safety standard certification.
The bicycle helmet vs skateboard helmet not only differs in safety but they also have different designs and outlooks.
- Bicycle helmets are designed to cover the top of your head, forehead and back of your head.
- As you may have a fall while riding a bicycle and you may have impacts through different directions at any place. So, it is designed according to that.
- The skateboard helmets normally have round shape and typically protect more the back of your head.
- It is just because they are designed according to the falls of the skateboard. How people mostly fall while doing skateboarding and what parts of their head needs to be protected
- In skateboarding people mostly fall at the back of their head and may experience small impacts rather than lager impacts.
The shells of both skateboard helmets and bicycle helmets are designed to be different as they provide different level of protection to their users.
- The bicycle helmets have thinner plastic shell as they designed to bear one heavy single impact.
- The bicycle helmets designed to be strong and lightweight as they have passed the CPSC safety standards to provide better protection.
- The outer shell in skateboard helmets are designed to have harder and thicker shell which can absorb large number of smaller and low pressure impacts.
- The shell is thicker than the bike helmets as they provide multiple times protection from multiple low impacts.
Ventilation plays an important role in helmets which are used in tough and tiring situations. The good ventilation design will keep the rider cool and comfortable. These days’ helmets come with more advanced ventilation systems that keep the rider cool even in hot summers.
- Bicycle helmets come with more advanced ventilation system with more vents placed at all over the helmet.
- Bicycles often commute on roads and also vent for mountain biking, thus require more ventilation to keep themselves cool and comfortable while riding.
- These helmets have more holes to bring in light breeze and are more lightweight and thus
- Advance Bicycle helmets come with aerodynamic design to provide perfect ventilation with fewer vents as more vents increase drag pressure.
- On the other hand, skate helmets com with fewer vents.
- They are less in numbers because they don’t require much ventilation to keep themselves cool.
Can we use one helmet for both?
Generally, we recommend that you must use separate helmets for both formats as they have their own distinguished features. The bicycle helmet has CPSC certification while skate board helmets have ASTM certification. But if you love both formats equally and you want to use one helmet for both, you can use it.
Mostly skate helmet now comes with both ASTM and CPSC standard certifications for greater protection. So, it’s ok to use one helmet. For this, you must select the helmet which are approved to both safety standards and have certifications stickers inside it.
From the above mentioned information about bicycle helmet vs skateboard helmet, you definitely may get to know the difference between both helmets and their eminent features. The one thing that is sure you must wear a helmet while doing skating or riding.
You must ensure safety first. Then, for perfect safety and protection you must select the helmets which are compliance to any established safety standards.